Thursday, August 20, 2009

Bird Bonaza

The kids and I took a trip to the Milwaukee Zoo yesterday. We like to visit regularly during the summer. So on this particular visit the boys wanted to go to the special traveling exhibit that is there for only the summer..."Wings from Down Under." Here we get to go into this huge wire cage with bird food super-glued to popsicle sticks. We did it before but bad mommy forgot her camera so this time I was prepared and the kids were pro's at feeding the birds.

This is just a small sampling of what is flying all around. (I am pretty sure that my bird-fearing husband was ok with us going without him.)

I'm telling you, pro's! Tyler is on the left and Jacob on the right with two nameless birds in the middle.

The boys stretched and stretched to reach even the most stubborn birds. We were there in the morning to feed the birds, can you imagine how full these birds are by 6pm!

Of course Mini-Me wants in on the action! She was adamant about feeding the yellow one's!

Tyler so selflessly sharing his bird with his sister. Oh, how I wish there were more moments like this!

Haley was so excited and even giddy about seeing her favorite yellow bird up close!

Isn't she a brave little two year old! (braver than daddy!) Look at how proud she is of herself!

Now, by the time I took the next two pictures we had been feeding the birds for close to an hour. They were getting pretty creative and clever!

Tyler even got a couple birds to walk onto his hand and nibble at his fingers. He loved it! I think that feeding the birds is such a big deal for them because they are so allergic to feeding anything else. I know they really enjoyed being so loving to the animals and having this experience.

I just like the three ducks in a row picture. I will one day look back at this picture and say "remember when..."

1 comment:

NE GrMa said...

What fun - in a bird cage no less! You need to frame the "3 ducks in a row" picture - priceless! The sheer joy in each one of the kids' pictures filled me with joy and happiness too!